Call for artists Drap-Art’21 Al Gòtic!
This year Drap-Art’21 Al Gòtic! International Festival of Sustainable Art of Catalonia is celebrating its 25th anniversary and we would love to celebrate it with you! Participate in our call for artists!
The festival has changed its format to decentralize its activities in different spaces due to the new situation, in order to avoid crowds and infections.
The Borsí building, located in Plaça de la Verónica 2 (at calle Avinyó 23), which was originally the Mercantile Casino of Barcelona and for many years the headquarters of the Llotja, Art and Crafts School, will host the exhibition of the artworks selected through the open call for the second year running. The design and crafts pieces will be exhibited at Artesania Catalunya and the Drap-Art Market in Plaza Real. There is also the option of proposing artworks for public spaces and squares of the Gothic Quarter (historic center of Barcelona).
Last year more spaces and galleries with curated exhibitions joined the initiative and this year they will participate once again.
Objectives of the call
The Drap-Art call wants to offer the opportunity to the largest number of artists and as varied as possible to show their work to the general public and take advantage of its artist platform, to get in touch with other creators, emerging or with a long career, who work concepts and related to environmental and social issues, and reuse discarded materials in the creation of their works. We want to promote debate, the exchange of ideas and the investigation of solutions through art and multidisciplinary proposals, promote environmental awareness of the public through art, creativity and critical thinking, promoting social transformation towards a more socially just world , economically more equitable and environmentally more sustainable.
The call is open to artists, designers, artisans, performing artists, musicians, educators and professional, emerging and amateur speakers from around the world, individually or as a group. Registration is free.
The works have to be created from the reuse of materials and work on concepts related to social and environmental sustainability, such as climate change, plastic pollution, migratory phenomena, etc. The evaluation criteria will take into account artistic excellence, originality and the quality of the finishes.
• Interventions in public space and urban art
• Exhibition (Installations and large-format works, collage, assemblage and mixed technique, Sculpture, Photography)
• Workshops or live creation
• Performances, shows and concerts
• Conferences and round tables
• Multidisciplinary proposals
• Art, design and crafts (Market and exhibition)
The author / author will have to guarantee that the works he / she presents are his / her own. She will assign the copyright of the works that are selected for Drap-Art to carry out the festival’s dissemination campaign.
It will be made up of experts from the art world. Confirmed until now: Tanja Grass (Directora i curadora de Drap-Art), Lucido Petrillo (artist and teacher at the Faculty of Fine Arts of the University of Barcelona), Savina Tarsitano (Ambassador of the Third Paradise and Co-founder of Espronceda Center for Art & Culture), Saverio Teruzzi (Coordinator of the Ambassadors of theThird Paradise), Jasmin Waschl (Director of Fousion Gallery, Drap-Art curator and consultant)
• The exhibition of your work at the Festival
• The inclusion of your work in the festival catalog
• Individual presentations of your exhibited works
• Space to participate in conferences, to present your project
• Networking space with other artists, critics, curators, galleries of the Festival
• One year of free membership fee from the Drap-Art association
• Be part of the Drap-Art artists platform for future projects
Form of presentation
Projects can only be submitted through the online form provided for this purpose. Projects sent by post or email or by WhatsApp will not be taken into account. You will have to submit a form per work, but you do not have to fill it all out again, you can make a “copy amaso” and only update the data of the work in question. The name of the files that you will upload will have to put: name of the artist + title of the work + year of creation + measurements in cm.
To formalize the registration for the call, you will have to fill out the registration form with the following information:
• Concise biography (500 characters maximum)
• Declaration of intentions (because you do what you do)
• In the case of interventions in public space, urban art and installations: title of the work presented, year of creation, measurements, materials and technique, assembly needs.
• In the case of the exhibition: title of the work presented, year of creation, measurements, materials and technique.
• In the case of audiovisuals, workshops, performances, shows, concerts: description of the activity, including duration, technical needs and a video of the complete work or a trailer of the work.
• For conferences: a synopsis of the proposed presentation, needs (projector, laptop, translator)
Deadline for submission
Presentation of projects until August 15, 2021
Resolution of the call
The selected artists will be announced by email on August 30, 2021.
From November 18 to December 21, 2021.